Friday, March 28, 2008

Days 9-10 in Russia (Moscow)

Yesterday we walked to Arbat Street to see all of the touristy shops there and buy a few souvenirs. They had so many vendors and shops! Wow! I'm glad Carey directed us to one shop, as it was nice, and they were easy to talk with and pretty reasonable. We also ate lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe. There was a Starbucks on this street, too! On our way back, we stopped for Russian pancakes (a.k.a. "crepes") as these are one of Michael's favorite snacks!

Today, we ate at a Mexican restaurant. It was not bad but much more expensive than Mexican food in the U.S.! Food is definitely pricey around here. We always share an entree and bottled drink (Coke or water), and it costs $25-$30 per meal! Wow! We think that is why so many people eat at McDonald's, which is ALWAYS packed!

I want to congratulate our friends the Perkins on receiving a referral on Wednesday for a little girl in our region of Tver! Lee and I have spoken several times over the past month (including twice since we've been in Russia), and I'm so excited for them! Things have really been moving in our region (5 referrals, including ours, since Dec.), and we are so happy for all of these families!

I also want to leave you with a funny video from our church's Easter event (Big Ole' Egg Drop) this weekend. When we got our travel dates, we realized we would not be there and hated to miss it. Many of our church folks worked many hours preparing for the event, and it was a huge success! As many of you know, we just started our church 1.5 years ago, and we are pretty small still. However, 3500 people attended the event! It was also a fundraiser for the tornado victims, and we collected many household items for these individuals as well as some money for them! It was a great success and looked like a very fun day! Here is the link for the video created by our friend Cleve: http://youtube.com/watch?v=iG7OExM9iPY. Make sure you watch for the Easter Bunny in the helicopter! :)

8 comments:

KateyK said...

Hey Carrie! Your Aunt Carolyn shared with me that you and your hubby are adopting from Russia. I'm so excited for you! My hubby and I adopted two children from Guatemala March 2004! Yes, we received 2 blessings at once! Maggie was almost 4 and didn't speak a word of English and Max was 9 months old. It has been a joy and a blessing! I pray your transition at home is smooth! Your new family is in our prayers....

In Him,
Katey Dougan Kingsbury

mommyto5 said...

Congratulations! Prayers and God Bless:)I know the relief and happiness you guys must be feeling!

Suz said...

D said, "How Coool!" Sorry you missed the big ol' egg drop, but if you had to, this would be the best reason ever, right!??!

Hope your 10 days flies by! Are you staying near Novi Arbat or old Arbat? On Novi Arbat there is a great restaurant called Shesh-Besh and it's Azerbaijaini (sp)food. It's really good. There is a flat bread appetizer thing that is yummy! We got the ShishKebob thing (no stick).

Have fun you guys!

John and Lee said...

Love the Egg Drop! Hope you guys have a great weekend and I'll call on Saturday!

Kevin T. said...

Hi Carrie,
Very cute video! Glad you guys are having a great time in Moscow!

Carey and Norman said...

Hey guys. Glad I could help on the souveniers. The first day on Arbat I only had time to enter the Russian Souvenier shop at the very end of the street near our drop off. I spend much more on the same items, so I thought I would mention this in our blog as we had a wonderful experience too.

I'm so glad you've had a wonderful time in Moscow. I look forward to your next post and the one on Gotcha Day!!

Best wishes!!

Carey

Ryan and Amy said...

Sounds like you are enjoying your time in Moscow. I am so happy to hear things are moving in Tver. We still think so often of the children there.

Dede said...

There's mexican food on Old Arbat???? We made many trips down that street shopping and eating but never saw any mexican food and I was going through withdrawals! ;-)