Sunday, March 30, 2008

Days 11-12 in Russia (Days 13-14 of our Trip)

Yesterday, we went to Detsky Mir, which is a children's mall here in Moscow. They have 4 floors with children's shops and ended up having many of the same things that we have in the U.S. along with a few Russian specific items. We wanted to buy a few things for our little guy that could one day remind him of Russia and its culture. We bought some soft alphabet blocks that contain the cyrillic alphabet. We also bought a soft bath book that has Russian words and a dolphin on the front. We're not sure what it says in Russian, but we'll find out from our translator or from one of the people who works at the hotel before we get him! :) (We need more of these types of books, as he is teething on everything, including board books where paper starts to tear off and may get in his mouth.) Also, we bought him a small stuffed dolphin that looks exactly like the large stuffed dolphin that is on the couch in the orphanage office where we've visited him each time we've gone to see him. Here are some pictures of our purchases:

We've already bought him "Winnie the Pooh," "Santa Claus," and "Christmas Tree" matroska dolls, a musical "St. Basil's Cathedral," and several boxes of Russian Christmas ornaments. We hope to find a few more things this week while in Moscow.

Tonight we met with our friends Susan and Randy who are adopting a little boy from Moscow. They have court tomorrow and will hopefully get their little boy soon after that. We've been following each other's adoption blogs for several months now, and it was our first time to meet in person. We ate at Friday's and had a great time!

We have a few more days here in Moscow, and then we will head back to Tver to pick up our son! We've enjoyed getting rest and exploring Moscow, but we can't wait to see our little fellow and have him with us permanently...only a few more days until then!

19 comments:

Amy said...

Glad to see that you are getting your shopping in now. I can't wait to visit the children's mall.
You both look soo happy and relaxed. This is a wonderful time in your; thank you for sharing it with all of us.

Jane said...

Your little one is going to love all the things you got him. It sounds like your enjoying your time together in Moscow, it won't be long now before your a family of 3! Have fun.

MandyJo013078 said...

Whoo Hoo! I can't wait for you guys to pick up your little one! Plus I can't wait to see pictures! Enjoy your time together and get plenty of sleep!

Ryan and Amy said...

Sounds like a fun filled day. I'm glad you're getting some great souviniers for your little man. Can't wait to hear you are on your way home with him.

John and Lee said...

I can't thank you enough for the time on the phone Saturday. It really helped alot. I hope you guys have a great last few days together and bring on that little one. Safe travels.

Becky and Keith said...

I'm just now catching up on blogs and I see you did some good shopping!! Your little guy is going to love them. Gread idea to get lots of things he can chew on. I'm glad you got to meet up with Randy and Susan! Looks like so much fun! Your trip is going by so quickly!!

Carrie said...

I am glad you are enjoying your stay in Moscow. I am so excited for your family. I can't wait to see your angel's face.

Dede said...

Love the dolphin stuff! I'm glad you had a chance to meet up with Susan & Randy. Enjoy your time there!

Alicia Beth said...

Awww,you look so happy in that picture. I'm glad you're having so much fun in Moscow. I have to tell you that I love your careful attention to detail in getting toys,gifts for your son.They will be so important in his new life.Your mom's intuition is already kicking in I see in your idea to get books that won't damage his teething process.Ya'll are going to do just fine with him.Continue to rest up and enjoy your time alone.It'll never be the same again (not that it's a bad thing) !!!!

Allison said...

Sounds like you're having a good time in Moscow. Love the toys!

Anonymous said...

I love the fun toys you bought! That's awesome that you had the opportunity to meet up with another blogger. It is comforting to be able to talk with other couples experiencing the same things as you.

Janine said...

What a fun time you are having!! Moscow sounds great. I'm taking notes of all the places you have mentioned! How great to have met up with Susan and Randy too. What great timing!

Chris said...

Enjoy your time in Moscow! It sounds like you are making the most of it. How very cool to get to meet up with Randy and Susan.

Coby & Brandy said...

Carrie,
Looking at your face in the last picture of the 4 of you...you look so happy! I see lots of releif, rest, joy and hope in your smile! You are a mommy and it shows! Coby and I are sooo excited that your race is reaching the end line and you both have run it so well!!! Can not wait to see you all so soon and it sounds like you both are enjoying your down time in Moscow. I am making notes of your last 2 blogs of where Coby and I should go and what we should do..Thanks for all the tips!

Troy and Rachel said...

Looks like you are having fun shopping and meeting up with friends - still hoping our paths finally cross!

Deb said...

Great toys. I'm sure he'll love them, and how great to have some things in the future for him to have.

How fun to meet with blog friends in Russia. Glad you had a good time.

Anonymous said...

We bought our son a painted wooden train set with lots of pieces that go together really cute in one of the stores on Old Arbat. Also, a russian chicken toy. He played with them and both are broken now so I wish we had bought 2 of each but something to look for if you have a chance.

Ani said...

So glad to hear you guys are enjoying your son's birth country. Take many many pictures and journal it all - a couple of years from now its all going to seem like a dream.
Can't wait for the pick-up pics!

glenna marshall said...

It's getting SO close!!