Why We Are Adopting from Russia
We are frequently asked why we are adopting from Russia. When we first began to consider adoption several years ago, I was watching a t.v. show and saw very cute twin girls who were adopted from Russia. At that time, God began to speak to our hearts about Russian adoption. Then, in Spring of 2006, I got on the internet and researched to find out why there are so many orphans in Russia. As I learned more and shared it with Michael, God began to actively work in our hearts about adopting from this country. Over the next few months, we began to research adoption agencies and spoke with them about possible countries from which we could adopt. After speaking with them, we felt God confirming in our hearts that He was leading us to Russia to adopt our child. Below are a few statistics regarding children in Russia.
There were over 700,000 orphans in Russia in 2000. After leaving their orphanages:
· 50% - fall into a high-risk category
· 40% - become drug users
· 40% - commit crimes
· 10% - commit suicide
Over forty million children in the former Soviet Union are living in "genuine poverty". (From European Children's Trust, 2000.)
Orphans in Russia - of whom 95 percent still have a living parent - are exposed to shocking levels of cruelty and neglect. Infants classified as disabled are segregated into "lying-down" rooms, where they are changed and fed but are bereft of stimulation and lacking in medical care. Of a total of more than 600,000 children classified as being "without parental care", as many as one-third reside in institutions, while the rest are placed with a variety of guardians. Thousands more are temporarily quartered in various public shelters and institutions under police jurisdiction simply waiting for an available space in an orphanage. Thousands of children are abandoned to the state at a rate of 113,000 a year for the past two years, up dramatically from 67,286 in 1992. The evidence gathered reveals several systematic disadvantages imposed on young Russian orphans, which violate their fundamental rights to survival and development, and place them in a underclass. (From Human Rights Watch, 1998.)
8 comments:
It doesn't matter how many times I read different statistics about Russian orphans, every time I do it makes me so sad and yet so happy because I know we're giving one child a special chance! It does make me think about someday adopting an older child since it seems like they have less of a fighting chance. Thanks for sharing! Hope you're having a great weekend!
The statistics are so awful. I wonder when people ask you do you share these stats? I don't think I ever have but when people haven't seen the conditions they don't understand how important it is to help.
It is heart breaking to hear and read the statistics for so many children in Russia. It is so terribly sad, but absolutely the reason Norman and I also chose Russia! I liked your statistics and will probably use a few of those as well when asked by friends why we adopted from Russia.
Thanks for sharing.
It still hurts me to read the statistics and to think that Owen was once one of those children just lying in a crib waiting for a family, for us. It's great you are sharing this info with everyone. We did too, and it does help people understand the need for children to be adopted from Russia. We are praying for you and your speedy referral!
Can you picture 700,000 children? It is so hard to imagine and so difficult to swallow. I am still praying for your quick referral...God is still making sure it is the perfect timing for you.
These facts are heart breaking. Thank you for posting these facts because I feel that it is important for others to know what the conditions are in Russia for these children. I am still in the home study phase. On one hand I can not wait for this part to be done but I am not looking forward to the waiting phase. I love looking at different blogs at different points in the adoption phase because it keeps me going.
Joy
It's always sad to read the statistics about the orphans, but others need to know about it. Maybe that will prod those "on the fence" to come to the Russian side.
Your time should be coming soon. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
God spoke to us the same way through different media forms and the words orphan and Russia just kept popping up over and over.
I hope your wait is becoming less wearying. I know it goes in phases. Good news is sure to be on the way soon!
Post a Comment