Lots of Learning
Lately S has been surprising us with all that he understands. He is a little delayed in speech/communication but has made progress since his TEIS evaluation. (We're still waiting on Vanderbilt to schedule his evaluation there and get him scheduled for therapy.) He is saying more words and imitating what we say as well. Just a moment ago, Michael asked S what is going on outside. S walked to the window and said something that sounded kind of like "out--side!" Then, Michael just asked him where "Big Ben" was. (We have a picture of London's Big Ben in our downstairs bathroom.) S walked into the bathroom and pointed to the picture! After S eats, we sing the "clean up" song, and S wipes his tray (part of our feeding therapy for positive reward of "good job S" at the end of a meal.) And recently, he has started to help clean up his toys. Last night, he had a few toys in his hands, and I started singing the "clean up" song. He immediately took all of the toys and threw them into his toy bucket and then started picking up the rest of his toys to put them away. This is the first time he had done this without us showing him what to do or helping him at the same time. (Of course we're willing to help him, but we wanted to see if he understood, and he did!) It was very cute! Over the past week, we've been working on learning what it means to "kiss." If we say "kiss," he will lean his cheek towards us so we can kiss it, and at the same time, he will make a kissing sound with his lips. It's so sweet! I'll just share one more thing...because I'm often holding him before putting him to bed or after getting him up, I often turn his nightlight off/on with my toe. (Talent-I know! :) So recently, S started trying to help turn the nightlight off/on, and he puts his little toe up there to do it! It's as if he thinks this is how it has to be done-too funny!
-
Here are a few recent pictures:
-
-
A few Sundays ago before church...S looked so grown up in his new outfit!
Playing with a box a late Christmas gift arrived in-they could have just wrapped an empty box!
Having fun playing with play-doh from Aunt Becca!S brushing his hair!
S playing on his "Kangaroo Climber" (his big Christmas gift!)
More fun on the "Kangaroo Climber" Just hanging out and watching "Sesame Street" for 2 minutes! :)
We're still working on the weight gain. S had 4 ear infections between October and December, and he lost a little bit during this time. As of last week, he weighs 19 lbs. 6 oz. at 22 months. Not quite to our 20 lb. goal yet but hopefully he'll be there by his birthday! He's still taking his appetite stimulant medication (now double the dose) and lots of calorie supplements, and we'll keep working on it!
12 comments:
His hair has grown a lot! He looks more like a little boy already. He also looks happy. Adorable!
Tharen
That's also what I thought... his hair has really grown a lot! I love that he is learning to say and understand so many new things. It's awesome to see. I know with ds3 every new word he says is a little celebration for me. :-)
It is so exciting to watch them learn and grow in their new worlds. It sounds like S is doing great and he is just as cute as can be.
We already knew he was a little cutie, but look how smart he is too! It's amazing to see our kids understand us even before they can say the words themselves. And it looks likes S is really enjoying the playset.
What a little cutie batootie. Don't they look so grown up in big boy clothes. It is almost like they go from a toddler to a boy overnight. S is definitely a cutie pie and I cannot wait to meet him in person. We need to find a local play gym to meet one weekend and let the kiddos play. Or...we could wait for warmer temps and bring a picnic lunch and meet at the park.
So good to hear an update and see that S is doing so well!
That is so adorable about the night light with his toe!! You can just see how he has grown and he is just so happy! What adorable pictures!!!
I totally understand the nightlight with toe thing!! I picked something up off the floor with my toes once and Daniel must have sat for an hour trying to do the same! If I had known that I would have showed him a long time ago!! HA!! S Looks like he's getting so tall!! I hope those ear infections go away and he can gain some more weight!
he is so sweet!! Glad he likes his play-doh :)
He always looks so happy in his pictures. It's great to hear how he is doing and that he is understanding more. It's so amazing isn't it. I would be curious to know some techniques the feeding therapist has you do with S.
I would love to learn about the clean-up song! Maybe it would work around here! That is so funny about the nightlight. Isn't it amazing how they pick up on things that we dont even realize?
Little S is not so little anymore!!! Wow! He is definitely learning a ton and I hope to see you guys in a few weeks to meet him in person. :-)
I love that little blue jacket... I think I would like to go to the bus stop in THAT! :)
Post a Comment