Sunday, September 7, 2008

Five Months with Mommy and Daddy

This past week marked 5 months since "Gotcha Day," and we had our first postplacement visit. Time is going by so quickly! S continues to adjust well. This past week, his daycare teachers talked about how cheerful he is all of the time, how well he has adjusted to their class, and one teacher even said that if all kids were as happy as S, she would adopt herself! These comments each came on different days when we picked him up, and they were encouraging for us to hear. His postplacement visit went well too, and we did not have any major concerns after our visit with the social worker. His attachment continues to improve, as he has started hugging us more tightly, coming up on the couch to sit by us (if we are not on the floor at the moment-where he could come sit on our lap) while playing with toys, and going from sitting up on our laps before bedtime to laying down and melting into us. He is eating fairly well, too. This week we will start him on a calorie supplement called Duocal, as recommended by our feeding therapist and nutritionist. It is supposed to dissolve easily in liquids without causing a change in taste, and the 4 scoops/day will add about 170 calories/day to his diet. He feels a tiny bit heavier to us, and we think he looks slightly bigger. We will find out for sure at his 18 month appointment in a few weeks. At this point, the child will be 2 years old and turned around backwards in his carseat--come on 20 lbs!

S has begun to climb a lot in the past few weeks. He gets on and off of our couches and chair over and over again. He is so proud of him self when he does it, too! :) Of course this is usually with one toy in his mouth and one in each hand so it is quite an accomplishment! Here is a picture of him climbing tonight!

Yesterday we were able to meet up with Adrienne, Jim, and Owen so they could meet S and we could see Owen. We had a fun time at Chili's and enjoyed hearing about how Owen is doing as well as their upcoming adoption.

We are so blessed to have so many adopting friends. We are also very excited that a little girl from S's group at his baby home is being adopted by another family we have become friends with through our agency. They will be bringing her home in a few weeks. It is so awesome that S and AC will get to know each other as they grow up. It is so amazing because there are only around 35-40 children in S's former baby home, and out of all of the orphanages in Russia and all of the children being adopted, these two children's parents are friends and the kids will live about one hour from each other. God works in incredible ways! :)

After meeting with the social worker, we plan to check into Early Intervention this week. We're doing some services through Vanderbilt, but she said we should see if Early Intervention would cover some of these things. We're not yet set up with Speech Therapy or OT and are not sure if he will need either of these on a regular basis. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations related to Early Intervention, we welcome your advice.

Some pictures of our smiley little man:


13 comments:

Jane said...

Carrie, S is so adorable and looks like such a happy baby! Congrats on your five month anniversary, it really is incredible how fast the time goes. Good luck with the Duocal.

Mama Fish said...

Carrie- Congratulations on 5months at home! I love the photos of you and Adrienne and the boys. At one of my favorite restaurants as well. :-) I can't wait to hear how he does at his 1 month check up regarding his weight. I hope the new Duocal helps! Awhile back you asked what agency we were using now. Email me on our blog and I'll be happy to share all about them.

ana said...

Congratulations on 5 months home! This summer flew by so fast. We have our 1st post placement visit on the 19th, and it's hard to believe it's already time for that.

It's wonderful to hear that his attachment is improving. It's also great that S will have a chance to know another child from his baby home. Through our agency, we met 3 families with sons from the same baby home as Eli. The boys were all there at the same time, so they're like cousins in a way. The shared history could be important to them when they're older.

Great photos! He's so cute!

Dede said...

I can't believe it is time for your post-placement already...where has the time gone? S is adorable and looks like a very happy little guy. Congrats on your 5 month anniversary!

Amy said...

5 months WOW!!! Congratulations for reaching this milestone. S seems to be adjusting well and looks as happy as can be. You guys are doing a wonderful job with him!

Kevin T. said...

Hi Carrie,
I am so happy that S is doing well! Wow, 5 months went so fast! That is amazing that you have met other adoptive families and that S can get to know those kids. He is so cute - I love the pictures.
Kevin and I have taken a new path and I have just started a blog.
Best always...Teresa

John and Lee said...

Carrie - He looks and sounds amazing. I can't believe you've been home that long already. WOW! I'm settling in and would love to touch base maybe sometime this week. Take Care and I'm thankful that S is doing well - Lee

Shane & Marie said...

Happy 5 months! S is such a sweet boy. It's so great to hear how well he is doing. He also wouldn't be a BOY if he weren't climbing somewhere!

Troy and Rachel said...

What a cutie in his overalls! Sounds like he is doing well and is so happy! I'm sure that has something to do with a great mommy and daddy!! Let us know how his checkup goes!

Joy said...

Carrie he looks like he is growing. For your 6 month anniversary you must post now and then pictures.

PS I am very jealous that I have never met up with any of my blogger friends. (Just kidding) I guess I am just going to have to make a plan to meet up for lunch with some one soon.
Joy

Becky and Keith said...

Look at that little guy! Such a cutie! I can't believe you've been home 5 months already! Rachel and I were just emailing about PPRs today and I only have a few more months to clean my house! Better get started! :-) I can definitely see him being the happiest kid at the daycare - he is all smiles! :-)

Carey and Norman said...

S is absolutely precious. I can imagine that he gets away with many things with that smile and grin.

I am so excited to hear of his friends from the same orphanage and care group. How fun for you and S to have that connection.

Looking forward to seeing you at the pumpkin farm!

Chris said...

We have Alexa and Anneliese in an Early Intervention program. Once a week, and occupational therapist comes to the house. She has been coming for several months now, and it has made a big difference in the girls development. The girls are being re-evaluated at their two and half year mark, and the OT thinks it is likely that Alexa will start getting speech therapy as well.

We experienced no weight gain with Alexa after she came home. Eventually the doctors did some testing and found out she has celiac disease. It is more common with people of far north eastern dissent (Siberia, etc). So you might check into that. Once we got Alexa on to a gluten free diet, she started putting weight on.

Glad things are going well with attachment and settling in.