Wednesday, December 19, 2007

We Made it to Tver!


Here is a picture of Michael at the Amsterdam airport. He says “Dank U!” to everyone who helped us get to this point of trip #1, to all of our friends, family, and CHI for all of the last minute help with documents over the past week, and to everyone for their supportive comments, emails, and phone calls! :)

We made it to Tver about 45 minutes ago! Our flights through Detroit and Amsterdam went very smoothly, and we made it to Moscow right on schedule. We were picked up by a CHI driver who was very nice. The drive from Moscow to Tver took about 2 hours, and now we are checked into the Hotel Osnabruck. While at the airport in Detroit waiting for our next flight, we received a call that one of our documents had a major problem and needed to be redone and overnighted to CHI. This sent us into brief panic mode, but my mom, our brother-in-law Brian, and his friend Justin, who is a notary, quickly went into action to take care of the problem. Two new documents had to be completed, and then my mom and dad had them certified and apostilled. My mom overnighted the documents to St. Louis, and hopefully they received them this morning (St. Louis time) so they can be then forwarded to Tver for arrival before we leave on Monday. Other than that crazy situation, things have gone very well since we left home yesterday morning.

The translator who was supposed to meet us at the airport with the driver actually got sick, so we should find out more tomorrow about the area and about the orphanage. We did find out that we are to meet the CHI rep and a translator tomorrow morning at 9 AM (midnight Nashville time) to travel to the baby home to meet our little fellow. The baby home is 2 hours away from the hotel. We are not completely sure yet which orphanage he is in, but based on something the driver said, I think I have a good idea. We’ll find out for sure tomorrow.

Please pray for our initial interactions with our little guy tomorrow. We have toys, etc. that we hope will help to break the ice with him, but we are nervous and want him to interact well with us. We are grateful for an opportunity to get a good night’s rest before we go. It is only 6:40 PM right now, and we have been up for almost 28 hours (with about 25 of those being travel time.) I think we both napped for a total of about 1.5 hours each, so we are ready to get a little rest. :) Good night!

P.S. We made the bear at Build-a-Bear and did put our voices in it!

19 comments:

Dede said...

Glad to hear you had a safe journey. I hope you get plenty of rest tonight. I can't wait to hear how your meeting with your little guy goes.

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Oh, I'm so happy to see you are there! Definitely try to get some good rest before your visit tomorrow. Try not to worry about it too much. Just let him feel the love you already have for him and be yourselves! He's going to love you :)

Carey and Norman said...

I'm so excited to read a post from Tver. I know how excited you must be to finally be in Russia and know that tomorrow is the day you will meet your son! Oh my goodness! I know how anxious and excited you must be. I remember how nervous we were to meet our little one. After going to the MOE, we had to wait until after lunch and our little one's nap to go to the orphanage. We ended up going early to meet with the Director before we met her. I remember them walking her down the hallway and into the Director's office. I'll never forget that moment. It will always be one of my favorites as this was my first opportunity to see, hold, and love on my little girl. Our daughter had crocodile tears and was very stiff for about ten to fifteen minutes until we broke out the toys. She did very well after that. So, don't worry if he gets a little upset at first meeting. He will love you both and will love the time spent with his new parents. You will be new to him, but he will love all the attention. God will watch over you and provide lasting memories!

Safe travels to your orphanage and many blessings and prayers are with you this week as you meet your little boy!

Amy said...

Glad you made it safely to Tver. Can't wait to hear more about your little guy. Get a good nights rest (if that's poosible). Tomorrow will be a day you will NEVER forget (I'm all teary eyed thinking about the 1st time I met Bubby and PPAL...over 4 years ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday). Tomorrow you meet your SON!!!!!

Amy said...

Forgot to mention...the 1st time I met PPAL she screamed and the maintence man was the only one that could calm her down. I couldn't hold her or anything. I was soooo scared. By the end of our week together I was able to rock her to asleep for her nap. What I'm trying to say...take it one day at a time; each day gets better and better (until you have to leave them....I cried liked a baby)

Joy said...

I will pray for a safe and speedy journey to your little one.
Joy

Jane and Jim said...

I'm glad to read that you're there finally and safe - don't worry about the little man, he'll love you guys! Big smiles and a lot of animation (and toys + food) go a long way (so I'm told!).
Get some well deserved sleep - deep and hard sleep. You'll feel wonderful tomorrow and with God's direction, you'll be fine.

Living to Love said...

Jim (Adrienne's husband) told my husband Brandon about your quick referral and the quick travel!! What a whirlwind of excitement!!! I am so happy for you two and will be praying for your visits! I agree with Adrienne try not to worry too much just let him feel that love that you've had in your heart throughout this whole process...he will know. It's going to be so amazing. Can't wait to hear how it goes!!

Mom to 2 Angels said...

Glad to hear you are there safely. I will be praying for your meeting tomorrow. I can't wait to hear what a precious angel he is!

Becky and Keith said...

I'm so glad you made it there safely! When you get back you'll have to tell me how you calmly handle the paperwork debacles. I'm envious! :-) I can't wait to hear about your visit with the little guy. We'll be praying for you!

Susan said...

This is such an exciting time for your family. You'll be in my prayers that your meeting with the MOE go well and the meeting with your new child is wonderful. Enjoy the time with him!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you made it safely. You will definitely be in my prayers during this important time. By the way, did you know that CHI is receiving their accreditation certificate on Friday? Whoopee!

I can't wait to hear more details!

JennyM

Janine said...

Glad you are there safe and sound! Wow! 25 hours of travel!! Can't wait to hear about you meeting your little one tomorrow! What an amazing day you will have!!

Anonymous said...

It is great to see your progress. I hope you have seen your boy by now. We are going to continue to pray for you over the next few days. We look forward to seeing you and your boy very soon.

Troy and Rachel said...

I cannot wait to hear more - glad you made it safe and that the document was able to be fixed. God bless family!!

Sandee and Randy said...

We just wanted to let you know that we are praying for you.

Chris said...

We look forward to hearing the news of the introduction to your new son!

Best wishes!

Unknown said...

We are praying for your safety and hope all the papers turn out fine. I can't imagine how hard it will be to leave, as a mom, Carrie, I pray that your heart will not break. We love you both and I can't wait for another posting to know how it went with the little one!

Becky and Keith said...

Hey there! Just checking on you! I hope your trip is going well. Merry Christmas to you and Michael!