Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!

Today is the day Michael and I headed for our annual anniversary vacation. We planned to go to Williamsburg, VA and to Washington D.C. over the next week. We left later than planned this morning, but we kept saying it did not really matter since it was vacation and we did not have a schedule to keep. Not long after we got on the road (about 12 PM), I called CHI and left our coordinator a message just checking to see if there were any updates for Tver. A little after 2 PM, we received a call, and I recognized that it was CHI. It was our coordinator. She asked how we were doing, and I told her we were traveling for our vacation. She asked if Michael was with me, and I said yes and started getting nervous. Then, she told me the most wonderful news—she had a referral for us!!! We were shocked and definitely not expecting to receive this news today! IT’S A BOY!!! She shared his information with me and told me we might travel as soon as next week or the week after next to meet him! I asked if we should turn around and go home, and she said to give her 15 minutes and they would try to get more information on our travel dates. We pulled off the interstate in Lenoir City, Tennessee and waited for her to call back. We found a hotel parking lot where we could get an internet signal and were able to check our email and see his little picture and read the full page document about his medical history and social interactions. He is so precious, and his medical history seems okay to us! (Of course, we will send it to the Vanderbilt International Adoption Clinic this week to get their expert opinion.)

Not long after we viewed his information, our coordinator called back and said that Yuriy (the Russia program director) called the CHI reps in Tver and woke them up! They said we could come as soon as we could get there! Tomorrow, we should get more details about our travel and find out what documents we will need to bring. Needless to say, we decided we would head back home. Fortunately, we were only about 2.5 hours from home at that point. On the way back into Nashville, we stopped at the Gap Outlet and bought him some clothes!! I have wanted to get clothes for our baby for so long, and we were finally able to do it!

We certainly did not expect this call today, and it has been so amazing! One other fun fact I’ll always remember… I was in the middle of working on my Bible study from Experiencing God when our coordinator called this afternoon. The focus of the week is on Hebrews 11:1, and Michael and I had just been discussing the verse before she called. The verse says “Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.” This whole process has been such a faith walk, and the last 2 months have especially been a test of our faith. We know the next few months will continue to require our faith and complete trust in God. As He has done many times before, He showed us again today that He is faithful, and that if He calls us to do something, He will make it happen—just in His own way and in His own timing. Praise God for His answer to prayer and perfect timing in bringing this little one into our lives!

Thank you to all of our family and friends who have been so supportive and encouraging during the past year. You’ve been such a blessing to us, and we can’t wait for you to meet the newest member of the O’Neal family!


What happens next: We will update our post as often as we receive updates and will blog daily while we are in Tver. Please check back frequently for our updates.

43 comments:

Melissa said...

HOW WONDERFUL!!! I have been on pins & needles, waiting to hear news. Wow, I'm so happy - what a wonderful Christmas/anniversary gift! BTW, our anniversary is also in December (the 26th, actually) and we went on our honeymoon to Williamsburg. Such a special place...too bad you didn't get to finish your journey...but you've got an even better one ahead of you!

Congrats, and many hugs!!

Melissa said...

P.S., Tver was also one of our "choices" back when our dossier was sent to Vlad. One of the pros to Tver (if I remember correctly, and assuming nothing has changed) is that the time between first & second trips is pretty short. How EXCITING! You are bringing back such great memories for me...

Troy and Rachel said...

I am so thrilled for you!! I couldn't have read better news tonight than this. You are going to have such an exciting time on your 'vacation' in Russia!! Congrats - We are praying for you, your little one, and safe travels.

Coby & Brandy said...

Now you know what one of the best feelings in the world is like. Getting that call and knowing that your little one is out there is a great feeling. Don't ever forget how you both felt that moment! Praise God!

Anonymous said...

Carrie and Michael we are SO EXCITED!! We are looking forward to meeting our new nephew.

Jonathan and Erica

Anonymous said...

Your news is the "best Christmas gift" ever! We are anxious to meet our new grandson and will be praying for a smooth and expedited process as you make the journeys to bring him home. We continue to pray for all of you many times each day. Love, Mom and Dad

Deb said...

WOW!! Congratz mommy!!!! What a wonderful day. How special, the verse you were studying at the time.
So glad you get to travel soon to meet your son. And finally able to buy clothes with a reason.
Very happy for you.

Ryan and Amy said...

Can you hear me screaming from Russia!?! YEAH - YEAH - YEAH!!!!! An answer to so many prayers, I was in tears reading this Carrie! I just realized you may be in Moscow when we are (how amazing would that be?!?) We'll be there Dec. 17-20, let me know if they correspond - were staying at the Marriot Grand. CONGRATS - we are SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!

Mom to 2 Angels said...

Congrats on your referral! I can't remember if I have commented before or not. Our son is from Russia. We are fellow middle-Tennessean-adoptive parents. What a great Christmas surprise!

Marsha said...

I can't tell you how excited we are. The people at my office heard me on the phone when you called and knew I was crying but could tell it was a "happy cry". At long last, we get to meet our new grandson. More than that, though, we are happy for you at getting some positive news after this long wait; it will be worth it. What a wonderful Christmas present for us all. God is good.

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how excited we are. The people at my office heard me on the phone when you called and knew I was crying but could tell it was a "happy cry". At long last, we get to meet our new grandson. More than that, though, we are happy for you at getting some positive news after this long wait; it will be worth it. What a wonderful Christmas present for us all. God is good.

Tiger & Kar said...

CONGRATUATIONS Carrie & Michael! What wonderful news to hear this morning. I am so happy for both of you & your son!

Amy said...

What wonderful news! I guess you got your Christmas gift a little early this year. Happy Anniversary. When is your actual anniversary? Our's was yesterday (the 11th). Congratulations!!!!!! I am so happy for you!

Heather & Jason said...

YAY! Contratulations! This is just wonderfulnews! I'll be praying your travel plans come together smoothly! Keep us all posted :-) God is good!

Jennifer said...

I cannot believe you are in Tver!! How quickly plans can change!! What an anniversary present! I can't wait to meet this little guy! Congratulations and keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Carrie I haven't been in touch with you in ages and for it to finally be about something so very exciting!!! WOW! I am so happy for you guys! I am so glad you sent this to me!!! I thought of you recently as I was in Nashville for a girls weekend with some friends! Hope you are doing well! You will continue to be in my prayers!

Melissa Fontes

Chris Goeppner said...

Woo Hoo!!! Praise the Lord!!!
I am so happy for you guys! What a wonderful anniversary present! You guys will still get to go on your vacation, It'll just be to Russia instead of D.C! What a whirlwind you will be experiencing, if you're not already! Just take a deep breath, relax and continue to trust God for all the details. I can't wait to hear more!
Blessings,
Penny

Fred said...

Congratulations! We can't wait to see him! We're praying for you!

-Fred

Cyndi said...

I have been checking your blog for a while now and when I checked today and saw the post I was so excited for you both. Congratulations!!!!! Can't wait to see the pictures of your baby boy. Merry Christmas.

Becky and Keith said...

Woooohoooo!!! This was the best news to read at 6:30 this morning!! What a great start to my day! :-) You are right - it is a Christmas Miracle! I cannot wait to hear more about your little guy and your travel plans. Now, breathe, breathe... :-)
Much love!
Becky

Jane and Jim said...

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I'm so excited for you! This is the best news and the best Christmas gift EVER!

Now you can do your vacation in Russia! Woo Hoo!

Congratulations! We'll keep checking on you and praying that God will direct you and keep you safe as you travel.

Amanda said...

I am so thrilled for you both and cannot wait to see this new addition to the O'Neal family. He is such a blessed child already and so lucky to have two very loving parents waiting for him! Love you both!

Anonymous said...

We are so excited for both of you!! I cant wait to see Pictures! What better better christmas gift could you possibly ask for! Congrats!! Love, Meg and Kyle

Anonymous said...

Hooray!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you!!!!!!! Please keep us posted on all your travel plans!!! I'll be praying for you & this new little fella :)
Love,
Becca

Anonymous said...

Congrats Michael and Carrie! We've been praying for this day to come for both of you for so long! What a great Christmas gift! We wish you the very best and safe travels to Russia! Can't wait to meet the new member of the O'Neal family! You both will make such great parents! (You better let me take some cool photos of your sweet baby boy!) CONGRATS!! Keep us all posted! Love, Ang and Dylan

Allison said...

Oh my goodness!! Congratulations!! I'm so excited for you guys. I can't wait to hear more details as they come. Little boys are wonderful!!!
What a wonderful holiday season for you!

Lori said...

Found your blog through "family Reunion"...Congrats on your boy! Travel safe and many prayers!

Lori Jerger
www.thejergerjourney.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am so excited! What an amazing Christmas present! We can't wait to meet your precious little guy. How old is he, what does he look like...so many questions! We'll have to have a big welcome home party for him! God is so good, so faithful, and loving. We are praying for safe travel for you and a quick return home as a family!

hope2adopt said...

Merry Christmas, what a wonderful present!! There is a post for Dec 10th on FrUA and someone is giving away his voucher for a December Moscow hotel. You might want to check it out.

MandyJo013078 said...

Congrats! I'm so happy for you both! Can't wait to hear all about your trip!
MandyJo
P.S. I just found your blog today - so I'll have to catch up on your story and read what's been happening so far!

Anonymous said...

I am sitting here crying with such excitement for you and Michael. All I can say is GOD IS SOOO GOOD!!! I am also excited you are getting a boy. A little partial but I think boys are soo sweet. I can't wait to meet him! Merry Christmas and Happy Anniversary! We love you!

Billy and Erica Mauldin

Anonymous said...

Carrie and Michael, this is AWESOME!! We are so happy for you and can't wait to see him! We will be praying for all of you.

Melissa said...

I just found your blog from Debbie's. Congrats on your referral. What wonderful news. This is a much better trip than your vacation would have been I am sure.

Joy said...

Carrie,
I am so happy for you. I just found your blog and I will pray for your safe travel and speedy return with your son.
Joy

Janine said...

I'm so happy for you!! What a wonderful Christmas gift! And I'm so glad that you did not have to wait another day longer like hear the news after you got back from your vacation. I can't wait to follow your journey to Russia! Congratulations on your little boy! I'm glad you got to go shopping...I love the gap overalls for little ones.

Jane said...

Hallelujah! This is fantastic news! I can't tell you how happy I am for you guys. You may be in Russia for Christmas, what a wonderful holiday season for you all.

Unknown said...

So excited to hear of the great news! God bless this child and your travels! What a miracle!

Dede said...

Congrats on your referral! I'm so excited for you! I will be following your blog while you are there. Good luck on your journey!

Lauren & Cupcake said...

Just found your blog through Deb's blog.

What a great reason to cancel your trip!

Wishing you both the best journey of your lives!

We look forward to following you to Russia and home!

Carey and Norman said...

Oh Carrie,

I'm so excited for you and Michael. What a Christmas blessing to receive such wonderful news so close to Christmas. We cannot wait to see pictures of your little guy. This is so exciting!! I'm just smiling writing this knowing how blessed you are to receive a referral at this time. God was working and planning all along and this little guy was made to be your little boy.

I cannot wait to talk in person. I'm going to try to call you tonight as I can't wait to hear more. Sorry I'm just now reading this, but I was out of the office yesterday and am now just checking my e-mails since Tues. afternoon.

Many Blessings and lots of love your way!!

Carey

Sira said...

Oh My!!! What great news... evern better that it was a surprise... so do you have dates yet?

Kathryn said...

OH, how exciting. I am so excited for you & can't wait to follow your trip. Leaving in one week, WOW!!! How quickly things can eventually move!

Chris said...

Congrats on your referral! We can't wait to hear about your trip and when you meet your son!

Godspeed!