Monday, August 13, 2007

Shots and Faith...

Michael and I each got our Hepatitis B shot during our lunch break today. We were supposed to get Hepatitis A and B, but the office realized they did not have Hep A once we got there! Michael said he was glad to not have to get 2 shots in one day! :) We'll go back to the doctor's office once the Hep A vaccines come in so that we can begin that series. We got our tetanus shots 3 years ago when we went on a mission trip to Brazil, so they are up to date. Based on all that we've heard, the hepatitis and tetanus shots are the main ones that are recommended for Russia. We've both had chicken pox, so we should not need to get that vaccine either! We went back and forth about getting these shots and then learned that our insurance covers them at 100%, so we figured there was no reason not to get them!

No new news about the adoption, except that we are for sure next in line for our agency for Tver for one child 18 months or younger. (There is another family that registered their dossier last year ahead of us, but they are waiting on siblings. Assuming they continue to want 2 children, we will be next for our agency when one child is referred!)

Last week brought a lot of excitement as we began to think we might hear something very soon. But I also became more nervous thinking about welcoming this child into our home and family and the fact that Michael and I would become his/her parents. Will we know what to do to take care of this child? Will we do the right things to parent a child who has most recently lived in an orphanage? Will our child bond with us quickly? Will we know how to support developmental issues? As I thought about the uncertainties of the future, I was encouraged each day to read the daily devotionals on www.40dof.com. Our church started a "40 Days of Faith" series last Sunday, and the sermons on Sunday and daily devotionals online are on the subject of faith. The devotionals encouraged me, and I know this series could not have come at a better time! God has a funny way of working these things out!! :)

13 comments:

Deb said...

The emotions and insecurities that come with this journey are so huge. For weeks (months if I'm lucky) I'll be great, excited about the prospect of being a parent and then all of a sudden I get this overwhelming fear that; I'm going to be a parent, what are these people thinking?

The devotionals are great. I'll start reading them.

Ryan and Amy said...

Hi Carrie - sounds to me like you may be nesting...prepping for that baby you'll soon meet. I can tell from your writing what caring, devoted people you and Micheal are already...what a lucky child!

Becky and Keith said...

I'm so jealous that your shots are covered by insurance!!! Amy is right - you ARE nesting! :-) I'm so very excited you are next and can't wait to read all about it. You will be a fabulous mother - you and Michael obviously have a very strong foundation in which to build your family. You've only just begun! Hugs!

Troy and Rachel said...

Oh fun - shots - I am looking in to those now. Lucky for Troy he's had the Hep shots, but not me. However - we are pretty sure he has never had chicken pox!!

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

It IS scary the closer you get, but everything will fall into place, and you will feel like your little one has been with you forever. You and Michael are going to be amazing parents...you already are wonderful parents, planning for your little one and making sure you can learn as much as possible to help him or her adjust to life at home with his mommy and daddy. You're going to do great!!

Suz said...

Wow, that's great your insurance covers the shots! Ours did not and they are pricey. We didn't get the Heps ones, just DPT.

Hope you don't have any reactions and can get the Hep A soon! That's great to be protected.

Suz said...

When I clicked on day 10 of the 40 days of faith thing, I got the chill bumps.

I've been feeling a nudging from God lately about obedience. The Sunday School lesson I taught our ladies' class last Sunday was on Obedience. Do you think God's trying to tell me something???

mary said...

I have no doubt in any part of my mind that you will be terrific parents because of your trust in Him! We are inspired by your faithfulness throughout this whole amazing process. It won't be long now!!

Susan said...

Carrie, I saw your comments on our blog and wanted to thank you for the well wishes. I've got you bookmarked now and will check in often to cheer y'all on! Susan

Stacie said...

I'm so excited that it seems you are getting closer to a referral! I can understand your feelings - when we got home with Micah I was thinking - how did they let us come home with this perfect little being? :) You will be great parents and it will all work out just as God planned. Saying prayers for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Our church has done community and purpose, but not faith- that sounds like a great one. And know that from your faith, we have a Heavenly Father who already knows who your child is and is equipping you with what you need to be his or her Mommy & Daddy. Praise God for that!! I think you are going to make an excellent Mommy. And whether from biology or adoption, newborn or toddler or child, having a new person in your care is always a change and always brings these types of emotions. But don't fear!! We are all thrilled for you that you are that much closer to your child!! Yeah!!! What a blessed little one he or she will be!

Anonymous said...

You will be wonderful parents! I have no doubts about that...everyone feels inadequate at times. That's good because then we depend on God all the more. His strength is made perfect in our weakness! I am so excited for you both and cannot wait to know who this precious child is that the Lord has planned to be Baby O'Neal!!!

Troy and Rachel said...

I know I left a comment earlier but just wanted to let you know that I have been folllowing the 40 Days of Faith devotional and it has been wonderful. Thank you for sharing.